Basic Certificate Course in Palliative Nursing [BCCPN]
Course Details: This six-week intensive training program in palliative care for nurses holding a recognised degree or certificate in nursing and are interested in palliative care. During the course the student spends approximately 144 hours in clinical experience and 72 hours in theory. The clinical will include Home Care (both locally and at link centers) plus Hospice and Clinic work. The student is expected to spend at least 10 hours per week going through background material. Evaluation of light assignments, case presentations and topic presentations which together carries 60% of total marks is done jointly by the student, peer and faculty. The final examination carries 40% of the total marks. The student is given a certificate if she or he secures 50% marks. Reflective journal is required, but not graded.
Course Duration: 6 Weeks
(The course commences on the first working day of alternate months and spreads over 42 days (inclusive of Sundays).
No. of seats: Minimum - 3, Maximum - 6
Eligibility: B.Sc. Nursing/ GNM with permanent registration.
Course fee: Rs.7500/-
|Batch||Period||Last date to
|I||January- February||26thDecember||2nd week of February|
|II||March - April||24th February||2nd week of April|
|III||May - June||26th April||2nd week of June|
|IV||July - August||26th June||2nd week of August|
|V||September - October||26th August||2nd week of October|
|VI||November - December||26th October||2nd week of December|
Application form: Download
Return the completed forms to
Institute of Palliative Care,
Old Dist. Hospital Building,
- The candidates selected have to spend 6 days a week (Monday to Saturday) at the institute (9.30 am to 4.30 pm for theory sessions and 9.00 am to 4.30 pm for clinical sessions).
- There will be theory sessions, clinical postings (OP/IP/Homecare),hands on training, assignment discussions & topic and case presentations covering various palliative care aspects as part of the course.
- Attendance is compulsory for theory sessions. The candidate may avail leave for maximum 2 days with proper intimation to the coordinator. Availing leave for more than 2 days during the course and/or being absent without intimating the course coordinator will lead to extension of the course.
- There will be continuous evaluation during the course in terms of punctuality, attitude, skills acquired, group interaction and team work.
- There will be a mid-term evaluation at the end of 2 weeks (after the theory sessions) and a final evaluation at the end of the course.
- The candidate has to secure 50% marks for a pass in each division - theory, communication skills, practical cum viva voce, case presentation, topic presentation.
Food & Accommodation:It will be the candidate's own responsibility, but the institution will offer all possible assistance including subsidized accommodation at the Institute of Palliative Care if available.
Dr. E Divakaran
Institute of Palliative Care
Institute of Palliative Care
For more information about the courses, please contact:
Pain and Palliative Care Society
Old Dist. Hospital Building
Thrissur 680 001
Phone: 91-487-232 2128